Smart Ways to Research and Prepare For a Job Interview
Congratulations! You have made it past the screening stage of the interview process and now you are going for an interview. Here are 5 tips to help you prepare for success at your first job interview.
1. Review the Job Description and be knowledgeable about the job duties.
- Be prepared to answer questions and provide examples of skills and qualifications that are asked for in the job description. If the job requires attention to detail you may be asked “Give me an example of a time you used your attention to detail?”.
- If the job description calls for a team player you may be asked “Please tell me a time you have had to resolve a team conflict?” If the job description calls for strong written and verbal communication skills, you may be asked “Tell me about a time you have had to use your communication skills to send an email?”
- Be prepared to tell stories and provide examples of your past.
- Speak of results and be able to show that you have provided solutions with results. If you are able to quantify your achievements let the interviewer know. For example “I achieved 125 of my sales targets or I reduced turnover by 17%”
2. Use LinkedIn to research your Interviewer.
- On LinkedIn search under people for the people and company that you are interviewing with. Read about the interviewer’s bio – where they have worked, promotions, accomplishments and education.
- Review the company page as well.
3. Use the internet to research the company.
- Visit the corporate website and LinkedIn to learn about the organization. Other sources of information are glassdoor.com and google.
4. Research to find out what Associations the company belongs to.
- Learn which groups or associations you will be connected with for networking, learning and social purposes.
5. Practice, Practice, Practice.
- Rehearse your interview questions. Review the interview questions until you are no longer jittery. Practice with a friend, in front of a mirror or use your phone to video yourself and listen to your answers.
Feel free to call our office at 604-606-1831 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance around this topic!