Searching for a new job or career is often a full-time job in and of itself. Many people find looking for a job stressful and demanding. Getting the opportunity to interview with a company is great! However, knowing what to do after, is often unclear.
Here are a few suggestions from the recruiters at Career Contacts for things you can do following a job interview:
- At the end of a job interview, ask what the next step in the interview process will be as you shake hands with the person who is interviewing you.
- Take the business card of the person that interviewed you for future communication.
- Following the job interview, think about how you did and how you could improve in the future. This is an opportunity to learn from how you can answer questions better, as well as figure out questions you may ask at a second interview.
- Think about the job, and the company as a whole, and decide if you want to work there. You are best to take a job you want, rather than just any job offered.
- Make notes during the job interview in a notebook. This will help you remember any important points.
- If you are working with a recruiter, call or email them to give them your thoughts and impressions of the company, the people you met and how the interview went.
- Write a thank-you email or card and send it to the person you interviewed with. If you are working with an employment agency, cc the recruiter as well.
- Connect on LinkedIn with the people you interviewed with.
- Plan a follow up email with the interviewer or recruiter a few days following the interview to ask if there will be another interview. Do not contact them more than once per week as they may busy.
Got the job? Get our handy-dandy tips for how to rock your first week of work here. Search for career opportunities using our job board. Also, please feel free to contact our office to discuss if you have any questions at email@example.com