As we are all practicing social distancing due to COVID-19, job interviews and our point of contact with one another has changed; it’s a new and changing world out there!
Recruiters, interviewers and hiring managers are now using online platforms to connect with people they are meeting with for the first time. First interviews or virtual interviews are often online with platforms such as on Zoom, Facetime, Microsoft Teams as well and other virtual sites.
Here are a few tips to be successful in your next remote interview:
- Dress professionally. Although you are at home dress as you would for an interview. Dress from the shoes up – be prepared to close a door, window or get up from your desk. Make sure the area you are sitting in is neat and tidy. If the camera drops or you have to get up form your desk you want to be fully dressed and prepared.
- Have eye contact with the camera. Be eye level with the camera so that the person you are talking with is not looking up or down at you.
- Situate yourself at a desk or table without interruptions. A loud TV, barking dog or person talking in the back ground is a distraction and will set off the interviewer. A bright room with lighting and a neutral background is great. Turn off your phone and email so that you are not distracted during this meeting.
- Be Prepared. Do your research on the company, review the website, review the job description as well as have a copy of your resume printed to refer to. Don’t forget to have your laptop charged or plugged in. Have a cheat sheet prepared with your strengths, weaknesses, and questions for your interviewer.
- Practice with a mock virtual interview. Job interviews are nerve racking so familiarize yourself with zoom or the platform you will be using. Become an expert. Contact a friend over family member using the method so that you know how to turn your mike on, adjust volume or lighting to see your interviewer. Be aware of the text chat, video recording, muting if a n emergency arises as well as screen sharing.
Most important to do list item in our opinion? Smile and have fun. You’ve got this!
If you have any questions, please feel free to email our team for advice or suggestions.