Telephone interviews are often the second step in the interview process after being short listed. Here are a few tips to help you get prepared for telephone interviews and get you select to move to the next stage – the in-person interview.
- Research Ahead of Time
- Review the corporate website and job description
- Prepare a list of questions that you may ask the interviewer
- Be Ready for the Call
- Have your mobile charged and the phone line clear
- Be seated in a quiet room with all distractions removed – tv, children, pets
- Have a copy of your resume present
- Have a pen and paper handy to make any notes
- Be Prepared for Interview Questions
- Know your strengths and weaknesses
- Know how to answer questions that they may ask you. Practice ahead of time! Here are a few examples
- Why do you want this job?
- What do you know about this company?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- How do you handle pressure and stress? (be prepared to give examples)
- Tell me about yourself? (achievements at school, work, education, hobbies)
- Take a deep breath and speak slowly & clearly
- Do not chew gum or eat
- Allow the interview to finish each questions before answering, be careful not to interrupt
- Finishing the Call
- Thank the interview by name for taking the time to call and interview with you
- Ask what the next step is in the interview process
- Send a thank you note or email to the interview letting them know that you are interested in being considered for the position.
Please feel free to call or email our recruiters with any questions about interviewing. We are happy to assist you.
Have a great interview!